Skokie A Community History Using Old Maps

Skokie Historical Society

Chicago Neighborhood History Project

Hermon Dunlap Smith Center for the History of Cartography at the Newberry Library

     
 9. Niles Township: From Snyder's Real Estate Map, 1886

 

In the 1880ís Niles Center obstinately refused to grow. We again recognize the dis≠tinctive double-V of Lincoln Avenue and Niles Center Road, but note the restricted pattern of the developed area, particularly when compared with Evanston, which crowds in from the east.

Henry Harms still held his 100 acres just south of Oakton and north of Lincoln Avenue, and was joined by more plot owners with German-sound≠ing names. Descendants of these families still survive in present day Skokie. Buscher and Blameuser, for instance, are names to be found on the stained-glass windows of the Catholic church in the V intersection, and the Blameusers and Hackers, to name only two may still be found living in the village.

Two years after this map was published, the village of Niles Center was incorporated. Its boundaries then ran as shown by the shaded areas on the map, taking in all the area which Snyder shows as being built up. Of course, the village of Niles Center occupied only a very small part of Niles Township.

 

   

 _________________________________________

     

Detail from Snyder's Real Estate Map of Cook County (Chicago, 1886).
Chicago Historical Society.

 
     
The Chicago Neighborhood History Project is Sponsored by the National Endowment for the Humanities through the Skokie Public Library. 

Back to Skokie: A Community History Using Old Maps

Web design by Jimmy Zhu (Skokie Public Library) and Pat Witry (Skokie Historical Society), ©2006