Skokie A Community History Using Old Maps

Skokie Historical Society

Chicago Neighborhood History Project

Hermon Dunlap Smith Center for the History of Cartography at the Newberry Library

     
 6. Northeast Cook County: From the Illinois Atlas, 1876

 

This map of 1876 marks several distinct developments since the Flower map of 1861 (map 5). The network of roads has be≠come much fuller, with the new ones following the line of the rectangular survey.

Around the historic V where the Indian trails cross (see map 1), a little town is emerging, and has taken the name Niles Center. A church is also marked there, no doubt the Catholic St. Peterís, built in 1868. Here and there we see little house symbols; these mark the site of schools. A diagonal road runs down towards Chicago. This is now Lincoln Avenue, and was the work of Henry Harms. He operated a toll-gate on this road.

The Chicago, Milwaukee and Saint Paul railroad cut across the western end of the township, but curiously does not yet seem to be attracting the level of urban development which we see along the track of the Chicago and Northwestern railroad, some way to the west.

 

   

 _________________________________________

     

Detail from the map of Cook County in the Atlas of the State of Illinois,
(Chicago: Union Atlas Company, 1876).
Newberry Library.

 
     
The Chicago Neighborhood History Project is Sponsored by the National Endowment for the Humanities through the Skokie Public Library. 

Back to Skokie: A Community History Using Old Maps

Web design by Jimmy Zhu (Skokie Public Library) and Pat Witry (Skokie Historical Society), ©2006