Skokie A Community History Using Old Maps

Skokie Historical Society

Chicago Neighborhood History Project

Hermon Dunlap Smith Center for the History of Cartography at the Newberry Library

 15. Skokie Aerial Photographs, c. 1938.

 

In terms of houses and inhabitants, Niles Center in 1938 was not much larger than it had been fifty years earlier.  This aerial photograph, taken about 1938, shows that there were many subdivisions, but their roads were often grassed over and there were few houses on them. Most of the people still lived either around the two Vs in the old center, or in the isolated farm-houses, often standing at cross-roads.

There are still some green houses to be seen near Saint Peter’s church, and two new school buildings have appeared on Lincoln Avenue.  Skokie Boulevard now swings under the railroad tracks, which are carried on three bridges, and some orchards can be identified south of Touhy Avenue. The local school, first shown on map 7, can still be located, but its site will soon be just a flow­ered meadow by the express­way which somebody has penciled in. This is the very end of Niles Center. Two years later it will become Skokie.

 

   

 _________________________________________

     

Photograph: Chicago Historical Society.

 
     
The Chicago Neighborhood History Project is Sponsored by the National Endowment for the Humanities through the Skokie Public Library. 

Back to Skokie: A Community History Using Old Maps

Web design by Jimmy Zhu (Skokie Public Library) and Pat Witry (Skokie Historical Society), ©2006