Skokie Historical Society

Firefighters of Skokie, Illinois

1881 through 1987

 

Previously known as NILES CENTRE or NILES CENTER, Illinois


SKOKIE HISTORICAL SOCIETY - 8031 Floral Avenue - Skokie, Illinois 60077

Click on image for a larger image.
Permission must be granted to reproduce any Skokie Historical Society Collection Images.

Niles Center Volunteer Fire Company, No. 1, 1881

The Niles Center Volunteer Fire Company, No. 1 taken in front of the Niles Centre House which was located at 8046 Lincoln Avenue. People shown front row (left to right): Fred Stielow, Vice President; H. Kolf, Secretary; George C. Klehm, President; Adam Harrer, Chief.

Niles Center Volunteer Fire Company, 1898

The Niles Center Volunteer Fire Company taken at the 8031 Floral Avenue Engine House. People shown standing near horse (left to right): unidentified; Andrew Schmitz; Peter Baumhart. People shown on ground (left to right): unidentified; unidentified; Carl Harrer; Edwin Harms; George Busscher.

Niles Center Volunteer Fire Company, pre 1918

Niles Center Volunteer Fire Company members on a fire truck at Lincoln Avenue and Cleveland Street. The fire truck driver is Elmer Baumhardt. All other firemen are not identified. 1917 U.S. Motor Truck chassis with 250 GPM Three Piston Howe Pump remounted on rear.

Floral Avenue Station Personnel, 1947

From left to right, firemen pictured: Fred Hachmesiter, Joseph Garcia, Ed Steek, Frank Gabel, Jacob Schmitz.
1940 Plymouth Car shown

Hamlin Avenue Station Personnel, 1956

Firemen shown (left to right): Captain Jaeger, Bobby Burke, Bernie Weber, Rich Baumhardt, Al Suckow, Russ Van, Fred Witt.
1948 American LaFrance Pumper with 1,000 GPM Capacity shown.

Gross Point Road Station Company Inspection, 1960

Mayor Albert Smith, Assistant Chief Jerome Burke and Chief Raymond Redick, 1960

Chief Raymond Redick, Sunshine the Fire Dog, Village Manager Bernie Marsh and Mayor Myron Griesdorf, 1960s

1960 Mack B-Model Pumper with 1,000 GPM Capacity shown

Fire Department Drillmaster Captain George Trier Explaining Valves to Fireman Robert Burke, 1960s

Firemen Richard Angsten, Albert Tedeschi and Mr. Jefferson, 1960s

Niles Center Road Station Time Capsule Ceremony, 1960s

People shown: Walter Flintrup, Raymond Gross, Harvey Schwartz, Patrick Seul, William Siegel, Albert Smith, Calvin Sutler

Fireman Bob Burke, 1960s

at Floral Avenue Station. 1926 Ahrens Fox Pumper with 1,000 GPM Capacity shown.

Fireman Distributing Literature on Lincoln Avenue in front of First National Bank of Skokie, 1960s
located at Lincoln Avenue and Oakton Street

Firemen Fred Albrecht, Richard Couture, Charles Henrici, William Pergrande, and Daniel Slazes, 1960s

1960 Mack B-Model Pumper with 1,000 GPM Capacity shown

Fire Chief Ray Redick and Assistant Fire Chief Jerome Burke, 1960s

at Skokie Village Hall. 1961 Pirsch Truck with 85' Main Aerial Midship Mount Ladder shown

Fire Prevention Bureau Personnel Francis Seul and Cub Scouts, 1960s
at Gross Point Road Station. 1960 Mack B-Model Pumper with 1,000 GPM Capacity shown

Fire Prevention Bureau Personnel Francis Seul and Students, 1960s
1926 Ahrens Fox Pumper with 1,000 GPM Capacity shown

Fireman Casey Ryback, Chief Ray Redick and Trustee Albert Smith, 1960s
at Gross Point Road Fire Station. Fireman Ryback in 1957 Cadillac Station Wagon.

Gross Point Road Fire Department Personnel Inspection by Chief Ray Redick and Assistant Chief Ed Steek, 1960s

Floral Avenue Fire Station Dog "Skippy", 1961

1960s Ford Country Squire Station Wagon shown

Firemen Mario Tonelli, Chief Raymond Redick, Dr. Frank DiGilio, Francis Suel with New Inhalator from Lodge 2046, 1961

1957 Cadillac Station Wagon Ambulance and 1958 Ford General Body Squad shown

Fire Chief Ray Redick and Police Chief Griffin Review a Book, 1961

Fireman Frank J. Guirsch, Badge #18, 1962

Fire Prevention Personnel with Fire Prevention Cars, 1963
at Gross Point Road Fire Station

Uniform Inspection at Gross Point Road Fire Station, 1963

Captain George Trier and Chief Raymond Redick, 1964

Four Firefighters with Ladder Truck 2, 1964

1961 Pirsch Ladder Truck with 85' Main Aerial Midship Mount shown

Chief Raymond Redick and Mayor Griesdorf, 1964

Chief Raymond Redick, Raymond Suckow, Walter Ryback, and Francis "Pat" Suel, 1964

Assistant Chief Jerome Burke and Village Officials, 1965

Fire Prevention Bureau Personnel Francis "Pat" Suel and Casmir "Casey" Ryback, 1965

Francis "Pat" Suel, Casmir "Casey" Ryback, Chief Raymond Redick and George Trier at Bell & Howell on McCormick and Touhy, 1965

Mayor Al Smith, Chief Raymond Redick, and Bud Hohs, 1966

Fire Prevention Personnel lead by Francis "Pat" Suel, 1967
at Gross Point Road Station

Last Shift at Floral Avenue, 1969

The last watch members at the Floral Avenue Station. People shown (left to right): Kneeling -- Frank Guirsch, Lt. Fred Witt, John Osborne.  Standing --Arthur Anderson,

Joe Forbes.

Chief Raymond Redick, 1968

Firefighters Ed Liekus and Larry Jamrozek, 1975

Firemen Harry Faust and Barry Liss, 1980

1978 Chevrolet Modular Ambulance shown

Firemen Edward Faust, Daryl Stang, Jeff Rudolph, Lt. Jack Feiter,and Michael Mulchrone with Ladder Truck at Niles Center Road Station, 1980

1977 Pirsch Ladder Truck with 100' Alu minum Main Aerial shown

Deputy Chief Allenspach, Chief Quillin, Deputy Chief Wilms, 1980s

Firemen Daryl Stang, Chief Tom Quillin, Michael Mulcrone, and Barry Liss, 1988

1988 Pierce with 1,500 GPM Hale Pumper shown

Return to SHS Collections | Return to SHS Home