Skokie Historical Society

Businesses of Skokie, Illinois

circa 1902 through 1940

 

Previously known as NILES CENTRE or NILES CENTER, Illinois


SKOKIE HISTORICAL SOCIETY - 8031 Floral Avenue - Skokie, Illinois 60077

Click on image for a larger image.
Permission must be granted to reproduce any Skokie Historical Society Collection Images.

Lohrke Bros. Blacksmith Shop, circa 1902

The Lohrke Blacksmith shop was located just north of St. Peter Catholic School on Niles Center Road.

Klehm Brothers Building Storefront, 1906

The Klehm Brothers Groceries and Dry Goods Store was located on the southwest corner of Lincoln Avenue and Oakton Street. The people are not identified.

Blameuser Building, 1907

The Blameuser Building was located on the northwest corner of Oakton Street and Lincoln Avenue. The people are not identified.

Rose Tavern Building, pre 1910

The Rose Tavern was located at the southeast corner of Oakton Street and Lincoln Avenue.

Albert Lies Greenhouse, circa 1910

The Albert Lies Greenhouse and residence were located on the southwest side of Floral Avenue at Cleveland Street.

Farmers Exchange Tavern, circa 1910

The Farmers Exchange Tavern was located on the west side of Gross Point Road just south of Golf Road. This area was known as Sharp Corner. The man in foreground with hands crossed over and wearing a tie is a member of the Hohs family. All of the other people are not identified.

Klehm Brothers Building, circa 1910

The Klehm Brothers Groceries and Dry Goods Store was located on the southwest corner of Lincoln Avenue and Oakton Street.

Paroubek's Harness Maker Building, circa 1910

The Ivan Paroubek's Harness Maker shop was located at 8045 Lincoln Avenue. People shown (left to right): Ivan Paroubek, Sr.; Anthony (Tony) Paroubek; John Paroubek;

Ivan M. Paroubek, Jr.

A. Kutz Plumbing and Heating Store, 1910

The A. Kutz Plumbing and Heating Storefront was located at 7919 Lincoln Avenue. People shown: possibly A. Kutz and son in doorway.

Niles Center State Bank Building, 1910s

The Niles Center State Bank building was located at 8001 Lincoln Avenue.

Baumhardt Ice Cream Parlor, circa 1917

The Baumhardt Ice Cream Parlor located at 8023 Lincoln Avenue.

Niles Center Recreation Rooms, circa 1920

The Niles Center Recreation Rooms was located at 8146 Floral Avenue.

Paroubek's Bakery Building, circa 1920

The Paroubek's Bakery was located at 8101 Niles Center Road. The people are not identified.

Bradley and Haben Funeral Home Car and Building, 1920s

The Bradley and Haben Funeral was located on the east side of the 8100 block of Lincoln Avenue.

Bradley and Haben Funeral Home Building, 1920s

The Bradley and Haben Funeral was located at 8057 Lincoln Avenue.

Blameuser Motor Company Building, 1924

The Blameuser Motor Company was located at 8008 Lincoln Avenue.

Niles Center Mercantile Company Building, 1924

The Niles Center Mercantile Company was located at 8045 Lincoln Avenue.

Frank A. Gabel Hardware Interior, 1924

The Frank A. Gabel Hardware Store was located at 8120 Lincoln Avenue.

Niles Center Recreation Rooms Miniature Golf Course, 1925

The Niles Center Recreation Rooms was located at 8146 Floral Avenue.

Schoening Blacksmith Shop Interior, circa 1926

The Schoening Blacksmith shop was located at 7880 Lincoln Avenue.

Schoening Wagon Maker Building, 1926

The F. Schoening Manufacturer of Wagons and Buggies and Horse Shoeing building was located at 7880 Lincoln Avenue. The men shown are not identified.

Bronx Building, 1926

The Bronx Building is located at 4940 Dempster Street. The Bronx Restaurant is shown on Bronx Avenue.

Bronx Building, 1926

The Bronx Building is shown under construction and is located at 4940 Dempster Street.

Niles Center Recreation Rooms Interior, 1926

The Niles Center Recreation Rooms was located at 8146 Floral Avenue.

Niles Center Recreation Rooms Interior, 1926

The Niles Center Recreation Rooms was located at 8146 Floral Avenue.

Niles Center Recreation Rooms Interior, 1926

The Niles Center Recreation Rooms was located at 8146 Floral Avenue.

Edward A. Heinz Radio Shop Building, 1929

The Edward A. Heinz Radios and Service Shop was located at 8149 Lincoln Avenue. The two men are not identified.

Bronx Building, 1929

The Bronx Building is located at 4940 Dempster Street.

4712 Oakton Street Building, 1929

The 4712 Oakton Street building was occupied by  the following businesses: Marley Real Estate, Cash Grocery and Market, Meat Market.

Niles Center Coal and Building Material Co. Building, 1929

The Niles Center Coal and Building Material Company was located at 4831 Oakton Street.

Swenson Brothers, College Hill Properties sign, late 1920s

College Hill Properties was located on Church Street just west of McCormick Boulevard.

Swenson Brothers Members at College Hill Properties sign, late 1920s

College Hill Properties was located on Church Street just west of McCormick Boulevard.

Swenson Brothers Properties, 1929

Swenson Brothers Properties was located on Church Street, west of McCormick Boulevard.

College Hill Properties Groundbreaking Ceremony, late 1920s

College Hill Properties was located on Church Street just west of McCormick Boulevard.

College Hill Properties Contstruction, late 1920s

College Hill Properties was located on Church Street just west of McCormick Boulevard.

Fix-It Shop Building, 1930

The Fix-It Shop was located on the north side of Oakton Street east of Lincoln Avenue. The man in the doorway is not identified. The Gerhardt Blacksmith Shop is also shown.

8000 Lincoln Avenue Building, circa 1930

The 8000 Lincoln Avenue building was occupied by a drug store owned by Gerhart Monahan and the First National Bank of Niles Center.

Weber Garage Building, circa 1930

The Weber Garage building was located at 5030 Oakton Street.

Five and Dime Store Interior, 1930s

The Five and Dime Store was located at 8007 Lincoln Avenue.

Gabel Store Interior, 1930s

The Gabel Store was located at 8120 Lincoln Avenue. The men are not identified.

Klehm Brothers Building, circa 1933

The Klehm Brothers Groceries and Dry Goods Store was located on the southwest corner of Lincoln Avenue and Oakton Street.

Oakton Tunnel Tavern Interior, 1934

The  Oakton Tunnel Tavern was located in the lower level of 8000 Lincoln Avenue building. People shown: man behind bar is Henry Clesen; man on stool with hat and suit is Joe Tury.

8008 Lincoln Avenue Commercial Building, 1940s

The commercial building located at 8008 Lincoln Avenue. The business signs shown: Joe's Tailors and Men's Wear, Royal Blue Store.

Return to SHS Collections | Return to SHS Home